Sustainable Hotel Practices Make For a Flourishing Hotel Business
Consumers are interested in sustainability and green practices – this isn’t exactly breaking news. Yet, the significance of that statement is still immense, green practices aren’t optional if you want success for your hotel, they are necessary.
The hospitality industry is an industry consistently at the forefront of the trends, and since the latest green practices tend to become “trendy,” hotels must try and be ahead of the trends, set the trends, and at the very least – follow them.
The green practices of five years ago are commonplace now – i.e. the friendly card in the bathroom explaining the option to reuse towels. If that’s the sort of green level your hotel is on, there may be some work to do.
In the eyes of your guests, wastefulness means a lack of commitment to sustainability, which translates into not having the same ideals as them. People choose to spend their money on things that are in alignment with their ideals.
Sustainable Hotel Practices That Can Be Adopted
First ask: What are you already doing? What more can be done? To help you get on the right track, here are some action steps to take to help propel your hotel in a positive and “sustainable” direction:
Create a “Green” Team
- Things get done when there are people championing them do get done. If you have a collection of team members committed to helping your property improve in this area, a committee that holds everyone accountable, change will happen.
Know Your Plants
- A relatively simple way to save water is to landscape with a drought-friendly mindset. There are plenty of landscape artists who are experts in this area, and would be glad to advise you.
- A single hotel uses an army of products – why not opt for environmentally friendly ones? Everything from cleaning supplies, to paper products can be a part of your sustainability goals. This might be seemingly costly up front, but consider the long term benefits – including guest reactions and reviews of the environmentally minded practices of the hotel.
Involve the Guests
- When it comes to Earth’s future, everyone is accountable and everyone can be involved. For starters, you can develop a rewards program for sustainable guests – i.e. discounts and restaurant vouchers for guests who donate old clothes, use fewer towels, leave unused amenities for the next guests, etc.
The sky’s the limit when it comes to green practices for hotels. Sometimes simply beginning to make the changes is the hardest part. Start small if you must, but by all means – start! Make a new, sustainable, beginning for your hotel, and reap the rewards.
If getting going is proving to be a challenge, or you find yourself in need of some expert guidance to achieve high results, contact HMG Hospitality today. HMG Hospitality has been advising and guiding hotels for decades, and has the experience and tools to help you reach your goals.
You may also enjoy: Hotel Owners Can Get More Green By Going Green
Subscribe to our mailing list below and receive our latest news and insights.
- Until the digital revolution, expensive print a...
- The end of the year means extra focus on hotel ...
- In the online space, the best way to generate c...
- Common areas of your hotel should have easy and...
- San Diego, CA – – San Diego-based HMG Hospitali...
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015